3.09.2009

jana and animals...

how did i get so involved with animals?  i guess i've always had an affinity for them since i was a small child... i remember vividly when i was about three or four and my parents were looking to get me a cocker spaniel... instead i got a cat... her name was neko dachi which means "cat stance" in japanese (my father was heavily into martial arts at the time)...

being naive pet owners back then, we did not spay her so she had a litter and her offspring had litters and so forth... i had fun though, being around all those kittens... it made me feel important because they relied on me and needed me... i liked that... i was also exposed to other animals such as a rabbit that my dad found being attacked by a dog and he brought it home (unfortunately it died because we left it in a hot garage)... and then two dogs... a brother and sister who were pit/lab mixes... i also got to take care of my mom's friend's box turtle while she went on vacation... that was fun except feeding him his meal worms that crawled out of the box... 

as i became a little older, science and astronomy had always fascinated me and i thought that that was something that i would fall into as a career... by the time i reached high school i wasn't doing so well and i barely got into college... the college i wanted to go to was hawaii pacific university and to be accepted into their marine biology program... my mom said no to hawaii though... so i rebelled and went backwards in life... got married young, had a son, and had a few cockatiels to care for... 

finally went back to school and i found part time job as a kennel assistant for a private clinic... the bad part was dumping the poop bucket and getting a good visual of the maggots in there... but the rest of the job was fun... from time to time i would do light typing in the reception area and fill prescriptions for patients.... one time my help was needed in the back (where all the action was) and i enjoyed that alot... then the commute kind of got harrowed since i had to drive somewhat far back and forth two times a day to take care of the animals... i needed to find something closer to home... 

one day at my junior community college, they were having a job fair... veterinary centers of america was present and they liked my resume, for i had some experience... soon one of their chain hospitals called me up and i had a new job as a technician assistant... flexible hours for me to care for my son and finish school... and i got to work with animals... learned how to do everything too... take xrays, draw blood, run in house lab work, do dentals, assist with surgical procedures, etc.

why did i leave?  it came to a point that i had to pull my weight and help out in the reception area, which i didn't mind because hey, i'm a team player... it did irk me however, because i wasn't getting paid the same as the other receptionists were and i was doing a better job... and besides, i missed working in the back with my fellow animals... also, a good friend of mine had a job offer for me that meant more pay and wanted me to try something different... so i decided to try the high tech corporate world... 

i would like to go back to working with animals... but right now people want registered vet techs... that would mean me, going to school for another two years doing a very intensive program... i've been thinking about it... we'll see...

1 comment:

  1. Go for it Jana. It shows you have a love for animals (heck you deal with the lovely Prada every day) and I must add that you do have the upper hand in that you've already worked in the field. Two years is nothing nowadays and you're so young. It also seems you have the time right now so why not? Do it.

    ReplyDelete